Today, I've stayed home from school with a headache and throat pain. That shall not keep me from studying for exams, however - which are coming up in around two weeks. I might lay off the chemistry until sunday, though, and keep to English; getting on with the task of learning 12 poems of by heart so I can quote them in my paper.
I used to not be very fond of poetry; I'd grown sick of the 70's poems we read in Danish in my previous schools, and although I had seen a few I liked by the 1980's Danish poet Michael Strunge
, flipping through his collected poems I wasn't convinced that the genre was for me. But, if you're lucky, that is one of the things school might help you overcome - and as with drama and prose, poetry in English seemed a whole new world for me. We read Sylvia Plath
, Carol Ann Duffy
, Pablo Neruda
(translated, of course) and William Blake
; I like the first two the best, I like Neruda's political poems, and a few of Blake's such as "The Garden of Love". The task I have set myself for today is to learn Carol Ann Duffy's "Confession" by heart:
Confession
Come away into this dark cell and tell
Come away into this dark cell and tell
your sins to a hidden man your guardian angel
. works your conscience like a glove puppet It smells in here doesn't it does it smell
like a coffin how would you know C'mon
out with them sins those little maggoty things
that wriggle in the soul... Bless me Father...
Just how bad have you been there's no water
in hell merely to think of a wrong's as evil
as doing it... For I have sinned... Penance
will cleanse you like a bar of good soap so
say the words into the musty gloom aye
on your knees let's hear that wee voice
recite transgression in the manner approved... Forgive me...
You do well to stammer A proper respect
for eternal damnation see the flicker
of your white hands clasping each other like
Hansel and Gretel in the big black wood
cross yourself Remember the vinegar and sponge
there's light on the other side of the door... Mother
of God... if you can only reach it Jesus loves you.
I like the feel of this poem, how the lack of punctuation gives the poem a very overwhelming, oppressive feeling, as if multiple voices are speaking at once.
I am atheist myself, so I don't have any experience of my own with the Catholic confession - but aside from being atheist because I don't believe in a God, I also dislike the set rules of many religions. My parents are Christian to some extent, pretty relaxed about it as most Danes are; but they have a picture in their room stating "God is Love" - and if you do believe in some sort of God, I think it makes sense to find him/her in the beautiful things in our lives, rather than in rules and rites. Otherwise, you might end up in a "thou shalt not"-religion, with the threatening feel portrayed in the poem. Without being a theologist, I have read parts of the Bible, and oppressiveness does not strike me to be the purpose of at least the New Testament. For really, shouldn't it be whether you actually repent your wrongdoings, rather than whether you can "recite transgression in the manner approved", that counts?
I am atheist myself, so I don't have any experience of my own with the Catholic confession - but aside from being atheist because I don't believe in a God, I also dislike the set rules of many religions. My parents are Christian to some extent, pretty relaxed about it as most Danes are; but they have a picture in their room stating "God is Love" - and if you do believe in some sort of God, I think it makes sense to find him/her in the beautiful things in our lives, rather than in rules and rites. Otherwise, you might end up in a "thou shalt not"-religion, with the threatening feel portrayed in the poem. Without being a theologist, I have read parts of the Bible, and oppressiveness does not strike me to be the purpose of at least the New Testament. For really, shouldn't it be whether you actually repent your wrongdoings, rather than whether you can "recite transgression in the manner approved", that counts?
I am an atheist like you, but one thing is good to keep in mind: Most religions served a sociological/judicial function at a time when society wasnt well organized with respect to laws etc. Thus a lot of the "thou shalt not" comes down to trying to govern peoples behavior in fashion allowing a social group to function, under the threat of punishment in the afterlife vs. legal punishment...
ReplyDeleteJonas
I was brought up with a 50/50 dose of Christianity and Nordic Mythology - as many Danes. Though I don't believe in God, I think, what would make most sense to me, in relation to God, is that he/she should be there as a reminder to oneself that one should try to do good. Hence, in a 'preventive' way rather than a 'punishing' way. I don't think people ought to be threathened by the horrors of Hell and whatnot to not do evil, but instead to be inspired to try to do good. It makes people think for themselves - especially if there is no set of rules, only encouragement to think things through. It would encourage critical thinking as well as compassion/empathy exercises - which in my opinion we can never get enough of. The whole thing about the afterlife only makes people appreciate this life less. Not preferable!!!
ReplyDelete@Jonas: agreed, but in our, more civilised times, don't you think it superfluous to have such religions, working by these procedures?
Yes, for sure... just like we dont need religion to explain phenomena like lightning and earthquakes anymore ;) Science & poltics/legal system have taken over the more utilitarian aspects of religion these days, what remains (in my opition) is "giving meaning to the meaningless" = consolation when all you can think is "why me ?!?!?". However, I think this just prevents people from taking responsability for their own lives, or accepting that there isnt always a meaning or a hidden plan behind everything...
ReplyDeleteAgreed (to both of you) - and I guess the judicial aspect of religion has been carried forward because if you think it is based on the word of God, the fact that society can handle that function now doesn't justify ignoring it.
ReplyDeleteAbout afterlife; it's never really scared me to think that there isn't one, but I know people it does - as you say Em, I think I appreciate this life more when I don't think of it as merely a prelude to some sort of eternal afterlife.. and it makes sense to me that it is all over at some point - the rest is silence :)
That religion can cause some people to not take responsibility for there own lives I think was actually what made me first reflect on religion as a concept. In fourth grade or something we had a temp teacher who had been a volunteer in Africa, and she at some point talked about the young people she met; they had all kinds of aspirations, wanting to become teachers, doctors etc. She said she'd talked to one, asked him if he'd then started saving up money or something so he could go to medical school - and he'd answered that he would become a doctor "if it was God's will". This is of course a quite extreme case, but I think it was one of the first times I got to think about the negative aspects of religion..