I have decided that I would like to write about some of my favourite places in Copenhagen - as inspiration to natives and visitors alike :) I had the idea yesterday when I was spending the afternoon with my family, going around to different places in the city as the thoughts occured to us.
![]() |
| Kongens Have yesterday |
| The cherry trees are blossoming now |
The first place we went was Kongens Have, 'The King's Garden', which is a big park in central Copenhagen situated around Rosenborg Castle. When the weather's nice there are always lots of people relaxing on the grass, going for walk, playing football or petanque or taking their kids to the playground. Denmark might not have the nicest weather in the world, but that just means that whenever the sun comes out, Copenhageners flock to parks and plazas to drink cold beer and get some sun - even if it after most people's standards is still freakin cold.
One thing which makes Kongens Have particularly nice right now is that the cherry trees are blossoming -- and since the weather ought to hold for the duration of the easter break, everybody who can should take a trip to the park. If you're studying for exams, you can always take your books with you :)
After we'd been in the park and had gotten a bit to eat, we went to Amager to see one of my favourite buildings in the Copenhagen area (one of the few new buildings I really like), 8-tallet (≈ "The number 8"). As you can see to the right, they aren't quite done yet, but already it is an astonishing building. Seen from above, it is constructed as an 8 - a far more interesting shape than the usual glass-and-steel boxes. They have done a lot to create life in and around the building, with shops and a (quite good) café in one corner; I read in an interview with the architect that he'd wanted to make the building resemble a mountain village - this has resulted in multi-level apartments, small 'gardens' for many of them, and an invitation for people to hike to the top, up the many stairs. I did so already last summer, and the view is beautiful on both 'sides' of the building, both the one looking out over 'Fælleden' and the one looking into the inner side of the 8.
![]() |
| 8-tallet as it will end up looking. At the bottom here is Café 8-tallet; I've walked to the top on the 'hill' to the right. |
EDIT: The left staircase is closed for non-residents; I am not certain whether the right staircase will be closed when all the apartments adjacent to it are sold. So if you want to go, it might be a good idea to do so rather soon. Otherwise, there are details on how to arrange a guided tour on the 8-tallet homepage.
Extra: Bjarke Ingels, founder of BIG showing some of the group's other buildings on CNN:
Øster Voldgade 4B (not too far from Nørreport station)
1350 København K
Open: January 07-17; February 07-18; March 07-19; April 07-21; May-August 07-22; September 07-21; October 07-19; November 07-18; December 07-17.
Richard Mortensens Vej (by Vestamager metro station)
2300 København S
Open: Always, but Café: mon-fri 11-21; sat-sun 10-21 (these are kitchen opening hours; the actual café is open a few hours longer for you to finish your food or just have a beer or coffee. Kitchen is closed every day 16.30-17.30)


The last building really cool but I think it would be cooler if the building was surrounded with mountains so it would blend in
ReplyDeleteI would really appreciate if you visit my site http://flashingfashionx.blogspot.com/ and consider becoming a follower
Your blog is nice. :)
ReplyDeletehttp://www.myfacehunter.com/
@flashingfashionx: It might be a bit difficult to find a spot in Denmark where a building could be surrounded by mountains - our country's flat as a pancake ^^
ReplyDelete@Emma: Why, thank you very much :)
Will you be moving into 8-tallet in the future then? There are still empty flats I've heard..
ReplyDeleteyeah - they started selling them at a bad time I think, right around the housing market crash. But I guess they feel confident they'll hold their value, at least I don't think they've devalued much. But sure, I wouldn't mind living in one of the penthouses ;)
ReplyDelete