Saturday, 2 April 2011

Art, Poetry, Spring shopping


Last night, I had a long discussion about different kinds of creativity - and the different kinds of art produced by it. I really admire people who need nothing more than their own imagination to create beautiful and thought-provoking pieces - paintings, sculptures, music, litterature etc. I find, however, that I myself work better within some kind of 'frame'; as for example creating the costumes for A Midsummer Night's Dream. The play and characters are already there, and the creative process has the set task of somehow enhancing the audience's understanding of both - this I did by using different colour schemes in the different 'worlds' (fairies, lovers, mechanicals), and make variations within that to show the personality and function of the individual characters. It did once in a while lead to some silly situations, where I could hear myself forbid someone to wear red shoes or whatever, exclaiming "NO! You can't, that's Titania's colour!"- luckily, in the end, it worked out. But I'm not sure if I would be any good at designing clothes as haute couture designers etc do - because that you make completely from scratch, coming up with a vision, deciding what you'll be inspired by, all beginning with a blank piece of paper.

Whale RiderWe also talked about poetry in this context - I've never written any just for myself, but my discussion partner seem to write a lot, and the ones I heard were beautiful. We did however not so long ago receive a task in our English class, where we were to write a poem based somehow on the movie Whale Rider; a task I actually ended up enjoying, although I wasn't completely crazy about the movie. I like to read poems with a rather complex structure and with a set rhythm, so I tried to create that. The title ended up simply being "Whale Rider":

          Whale Rider
                     Waves breaking
                     Worlds shaking
                     Silently.
                     But tide life, tide death,
                     the tide rolls in most
                     Piously.

                     Silent weaping
                     Habit's reaping
                     Fruits of sons.
                     But the un-dead half
                     is greeted by the 
                     Olden Ones.

It was fun to do, and there is some of the same litterature-puzzle to writing a poem like this as there is to reading Shakespeare, only reversed. Starting out with a couple of lines, then trying to build a structure and rhyme scheme around them, making sure you end up with something which actually makes sense can be a bit complicated - and fun. Not sure how easy the poem is to understand if you haven't watched the movie, though ^^


Spring has finally come to Denmark! And even if it's still a bit below 20 degrees celcius and quite windy, I have stubbornly (and once in a while shakingly) been sunbathing in my garden for the majority of the afternoon. But aside from the steadily improving weather, spring also means lots of new summer clothes to buy everywhere! So far, I have limited myself to a cottoncoat and a dress from H&M - plus a Rossi leather bag I found in Time's Up Vintage in Krystalgade yesterday (I have been searching for one I liked in which my computer could fit for 2 years now - have only found the Mulberry Bayswater, which for the moment is sadly a bit out of my price range). Finally, I bought the DVD of Coco Chanel & Igor Stravinsky to save for some day when the Danish spring/summer does not show itself from its best side, and I need a break from studying :)

Buying beautiful things makes me happy :)

2 comments:

  1. what a nice post, mathilde !
    such a nice talk yesterday.
    i like your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you <3 and yes, it was very hyggeligt ^^

    ReplyDelete