Monday, 17 August 2009

Friends & Proverbs

For some time, quite some time actually, I was sure I lacked people skills. I got along with people well enough on a general basis, but failed to make any lasting friendships. Maybe I do in some way lack people skills, at least in the way that I still don't have a gazillion friends, but I do have some. And I guess, having lacked them for so long, really makes me cherish my friends that much more. It's sort of the opposite of "you don't know what you've got 'till you've lost it". I guess it's more of a "you don't know how much you've missed it 'till you get it". It's not that I didn't sometimes feel lonely or wished for close relationships with others than my family, but I filled my time with other things and almost wondered how people could find time to have friends on top of everything else?

Now, of course, I know that you make time, and that you are happy to do it. Doing something for a friend, perhaps with other friends, is one of the most rewarding ways to spend your time. I made a photobook with some of my best friends for another one of my best friends, who's leaving to study abroad for 2 years. We will miss her terribly, but we will make sure to Skype each other, and we'll see her when she comes home for the Christmas- and summerholidays. Truth is, I would probably have taken the opportunity as well if I were in her shoes, so I can't really blame her for going; and I am truly happy for her. Still, it's not the same. I knew what I had, and I am very sad to see her go. We all love you girl <3


My birthday is the day after tomorrow, and I'm very excited. I just got my first present today: A birthday poster, filled with pictures of me and friends + a giant happy b-day and lots of comments. It's funny how I never really got the whole "it's the thought that counts"-idea before. I talk about wishlists in one of my previous posts, and one of the things I wrote was that nothing was better than a personal gift. This one didn't cost more than the price of a piece of cardboard and ink for the printer, yet it means so much more than probably most of the things I'll get for my birthday. Love for you all <3



No comments:

Post a Comment